Author Topic: Add (almost) the whole Basic Multilingual Plane as a choice of character set  (Read 17968 times)

Offline TiagoTiago

• Normal Members
It would be interesting if among the default character sets you also included one containing everything in Unicode's BMP. Though it can't really be exactly everything, some chars are expected to be replaced by others  or just plain ignored under certain conditions, and using the low and high surrogates correctly would imply that there is a severely limited number of possible characters imediatly after/before a surrogate, reducing the entropy of the password; so all those problematic codepoints would need to be left out to avoid producing weaker or just plain unusable passwords (i'm not sure what is the expected behavior in the presence of unalocated codepoints, perhaps those should be ignored as well; also, i'm not sure if it would be safe to include things like the BIDIR control characters or if they're expected to be replaced or ignored by some software.

And just in case there are some changes in the BMP in the future, the version of Unicode used for deciding which characters to use should be mentioned somewhere, and if possible, previous version of the character set should be included if there are changes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:48:01 PM by TiagoTiago »
(new reply email notifications don't always reach my inbox, please let me know if you think it has happened again)

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Control characters should NEVER be used. It's bad enough some sites don't like symbols.

Also, there's no guarantee that non-ascii characters will work the same in all editions.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
I don't get it. Most of these characters would never be accepted by the majority of western websites. So why do it?

Offline TiagoTiago

• Normal Members
I don't get it. Most of these characters would never be accepted by the majority of western websites. So why do it?
For those that do accept them, you would be able to generate ultrastrong passwords.
(new reply email notifications don't always reach my inbox, please let me know if you think it has happened again)

PasswordMaker Forums