Author Topic: Tracemonkey breaks passwordmaker  (Read 9126 times)

Offline lapino

• Normal Members
Tracemonkey breaks passwordmaker
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
The latest Minefield nightly builds (firefox 3.1a2pre) have included the so called "tracemonkey" feature that enable javascript speedups. When enabling this for content (javascript.options.jit.content set to true in about:config), everything keeps working, but when you enable it for chrome (javascript.options.jit.chrome set to true), passwordmaker doesn't work anymore.
Here's what happens: when I enter my master password, for which I saved a hash, passwordmaker reports that my master password doesn't match (and I'm absolutely sure it's the right password!). When I look at the produced password for this master password, it's a different one than it should be. Disabling tracemonkey for chrome makes everybody happy again  ;)

As tracemonkey is still quite beta (and has to be enabled by the user), this is not a big deal at the moment, but I report it anyway as it will probably be enabled by default in Fx 3.1, so a lot of users might have the "WTF, my password isn't working anymore!!!!"-experience (as I did a couple of minutes ago).

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Re: Tracemonkey breaks passwordmaker
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:02:20 PM »
Thanks. I've got no plans to work on this right now since it's alpha.

muriloq

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:29 PM »
I'm testing with today's (20080916) nightly build, Firefox 3.1b1pre on Ubuntu 8.04.

If the option javascript.options.jit.chrome is set to true (i.e., TraceMonkey should execute the javascript code of the extensions) PasswordMaker 1.7.2 beta 2 crashes Firefox just after typing the second copy of the master password.

Setting javascript.options.jit.content to true doesn't cause any problems.

So the problem is still related to Tracemonkey, but in my case no wrong password is generated, as described by lapino.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »
I'll report this to the tracemonkey team, but I am certain they'll want a stack trace. Did you submit one? If so, what's the crash ID?

thanks,
eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »
Fwiw...

I have had zero problems since upgrading to 3.5 final. I tested a lot before updating my primary profile, and have now been using it exclusively since just a few days after 3.5 went final... haven't had a single glitch (with FFox or PWM)...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »
Glad to hear it. No problems here, too, although I don't use all the features personally (e.g., Advanced Auto-Populate)

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »