Author Topic: Password Management overview: PasswordMaker vs. traditional password vaults  (Read 7648 times)

Offline tummblr

• Normal Members
Hello all,

I'm a long-time fan and satisfied user of PasswordMaker.  I decided to do my small part in promoting the use of PasswordMaker for the good of all human kind ;D so I sat down and wrote this blog post:

PasswordMaker: safe, secure, simple, site-specific, smart password management

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, corrections, additions or comments.

Cheers!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Hi tummblr,

Good write-up - but are you aware of our new wiki? Maybe you could add/edit some stuff there too... there are still sections that need data...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Great article! And I do hope you add it to our wiki. You don't need to register to edit/add pages there. I added this comment to your blog entry:

Very nice article! One comment. You wrote: “A group of students at Stanford University (including Blake Ross of Firefox fame) came up with the concept of site-specific web password hashing.”

Actually, Nick Wolff is the first person to come up with and publish this idea. His page is at http://angel.net/~nic/passwd.html. Both myself and Blake Ross came up with the idea independently of Nick, but Nick definitely had the aforementioned web page before PasswordMaker and PwdHash.

Offline tummblr

• Normal Members
Thanks for the comment!  My apologies for the bad facts.  :-[  Will correct ASAP.

I'll definitely contribute to the wiki when I get around to (hopefully soon) writing a tutorial for PasswordMaker beginners.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Thanks for the comment!  My apologies for the bad facts.  :-[  Will correct ASAP.

I'll definitely contribute to the wiki when I get around to (hopefully soon) writing a tutorial for PasswordMaker beginners.

No need to correct the article. It is still an excellent piece. Anything you could contribute to the wiki would be most appreciated.

Eric

Offline tummblr

• Normal Members
Nah, it's no problem and factual mistakes should definitely be corrected.  Besides, I now remember viewing Jon Udell's screencast about password hashing using Nic's password generator, so I should have known better.  (Anyone know why that screencast works in IE but not Firefox?  It's just a flash movie, no?)

Also added a few more implementations to the links section of the post.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:35:14 PM by tummblr »

PasswordMaker Forums