Author Topic: Problem creating the same password  (Read 30231 times)

Offline mgabby

• Normal Members
Problem creating the same password
« on: August 29, 2007, 02:55:48 PM »
I am using FireFox plug in version 1.6.2 and the java-script version 2.4 of Password Maker. I am not able to create the same password. I have gone through all of the "Hash Algorithm" in the java-script version since I cannot seem to set the FireFox plug in version. Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

I can create the same password from the java-script and the online version.

I noticed there was a discussion about different "character sets". However, I cannot find the "character set" in the FireFox plug in version.

Mike Gabby

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Problem creating the same password
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
If you cannot find the character set in the FFOx extension, then you probably haven't seen the 'Advanced Options' yet... that will probably answer all of your questions... and possibly bring up a bunch more... ;)

Click the blue 'Advanced Options' link just below the 'Copy generated password to clipboard' button...

Offline mgabby

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 03:22:33 PM »
I have gone to the "Advance Options". I find no "character set" nor setting for "Hash Algorithm".

Mike

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »
Ok, my bad - I didn't explain enough...

You have to do this through what are known as 'Account Settings'...

There is the 'Defaults' account now, that you will see on the right - dbl-click that, and explore the tabs... see?

:)

Now, understand that you can create Groups, and as many custom accounts in each group as you want, each with its own settings.

As you create these groups, they will inherit the settings either from the Defaults, or, you can 'Copy' (right-click on an existing an account) an account, and the copied one will obviously 'inherit' the settings of the account copied...

If you haven't read the manual, it is highly recommended that you do so. It is outdated, but most everything still applies in one way or another.

The documentation is in the process of being updated, and hopefully in a few weeks the wiki will be replacing all of the documentation on the website...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
Are the default character sets for the online edition and the Firefox edition STILL not the same??  ???

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »
I believe they are the same... I compared them three times...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 06:12:47 PM »
I believe they are the same... I compared them three times...

OK. Thanks. You cleared your passwordmaker.org cookies first, right?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 07:58:37 PM »
Yep - and I just checked again, but used a different username... same password...

While we're on the subject of the Online version...

Any chance you could change the label for the 'URL' to 'Using Text', so it is in harmony with the extension? It threw me at first as to which was the equivalent...

Anyway - as far as I'm concerned, the Default character sets are the same...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 08:28:43 PM »
Any chance you could change the label for the 'URL' to 'Using Text', so it is in harmony with the extension? It threw me at first as to which was the equivalent...

Yes, as soon as 1.7 is released.

Maybe the OP was referring to the downloadable JS edition? Maybe that still uses a different default character set.

Offline mgabby

• Normal Members
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:27 PM »
I changed the character set and all of them now produce the password.

Thank you.

Mike Gabby

Offline mgabby

• Normal Members
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 04:17:20 PM »
There is, I think, a real bug in the FireFox plug in.

If I check domain in all the other versions, only the domain part of the URL is looked at (ie www.passwordmaker.org = passwordmaker.org). Therefore, if I enter www.passwordmaker.org or passwordmaker.org, the same password is created.  However, in the FireFox plug even if I check the domain, there are different password created using www.passwordmaker.org and passwordmaker.org.

Pax et Bonum
Mike Gabby

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
There is no input URL on the Firefox extension, well, there is, but it's the address bar at the top (which BTW, because of how this site is set up, www.passwordmaker.org is not possible to be visited) and the URL you see is what the PasswordMaker uses to create the password (which, when 1.7 is released, will not be an issue because that field will be called, "Using Text" or something like that.)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

bolzano

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »
There is, I think, a real bug in the FireFox plug in.

If I check domain in all the other versions, only the domain part of the URL is looked at (ie www.passwordmaker.org = passwordmaker.org). Therefore, if I enter www.passwordmaker.org or passwordmaker.org, the same password is created.  However, in the FireFox plug even if I check the domain, there are different password created using www.passwordmaker.org and passwordmaker.org.

Pax et Bonum
Mike Gabby
You need to uncheck the "subdomains" checkbox in the Firefox extension for it to work the way you describe. This is in the advanced options account settings tab.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »