Author Topic: Ctrl-A/B shortcut keys not working properly  (Read 19088 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Ctrl-A/B shortcut keys not working properly
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:52:43 PM »
Another minor one...

Ctrl-A doesn't do anything, and Ctrl-B always results to a default window size that cuts off part of the bottom two lines of descriptive text...

It's possible that my non-functional Ctrl-A is a conflict with another extension I guess, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet...

Offline Romeo

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 01:45:15 PM »
As I said before in some other thread, but it's probably got lost aomewhere, ctrl-A is 'select all', at least in Windows it is.

I would recommend using ctrl-1 and ctrl-2, or may be some function key, such as F11 F12, or something like that.  I am sure that Eric, the master of all passwords, already has some alternative up his sleeve.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 03:28:12 PM »
I'm going to use a single key, maybe cntrl-P for PasswordMaker, which toggles between both. No need for two keys.

Ctrl-B always results to a default window size that cuts off part of the bottom two lines of descriptive text...
This concerns me. I haven't seen this. Can you post a screenshot using imageshack.us?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Romeo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 03:44:02 PM »
Eric, while using just one key this is a good idea, ctrl-P won't work either, because that calls the Windows print dialog.  Ctrl-B seems to work just fine.  I understand why you would want to use the ctrl sequences you have chosen so far, but unfortunatley they all seem to be taken by the OS, with the exception ctrl-B.    :(

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:47:25 PM »
Good point. Thanks. I'll leave it cntrl-B. Cntrl-1 is too close to the ` key, IMHO.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 04:50:14 PM »
Ctrl-B always results to a default window size that cuts off part of the bottom two lines of descriptive text...

This concerns me. I haven't seen this. Can you post a screenshot using imageshack.us?

Here ya go...

I resize the window, close it, and the next time it opens, its back to this size.

I did uninstall 0.8b before installing, and I did try moving the rdf file. Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Offline Romeo

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 05:06:08 PM »
Eric, how about letting the user choose which one to use for the toggle.  I think crtl-A is ascii 1, right ?  So the user would just type a letter of his or her choice and PM would just deduct 64 from the corresponding ascii code for the character.  So then, when the ascii of the captured keystroke is equal to that code, it'll just toggle.

Just an idea.  I am sure that you'll find a slick way to accomodate everyone.

ctrl-B works great.  I would be happy with that.  But then, how often do I go to the basic settings ?  Very seldom.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:41:15 AM »
Eric, how about letting the user choose which one to use for the toggle. I think crtl-A is ascii 1, right ? So the user would just type a letter of his or her choice and PM would just deduct 64 from the corresponding ascii code for the character. So then, when the ascii of the captured keystroke is equal to that code, it'll just toggle.
This is actually a lot more difficult to implement in XUL than what you describe because I read on the mozdev project owner's list once that dynamically changing XUL <key/> elements causes some versions of Firefox and Mozilla to crash. There's probably a way to do it, but I'd rather spend my time on something more worthwhile.

I've decided to use Ctrl-s as the single shortcut. S is better than B because it exists in both menu items (Basic Options and Advanced Options). Using a letter not in the menu item causes a strange looking menu, trust me.

Here ya go...

I resize the window, close it, and the next time it opens, its back to this size.

I did uninstall 0.8b before installing, and I did try moving the rdf file. Anything else I can try?
Thanks. Ed mentioned here that this was reintroduced in 0.8.1. I've already fixed it and it will be in 0.8.2.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 01:47:37 AM »
There's probably a way to do it, but I'd rather spend my time on something more worthwhile.

I've decided to use Ctrl-s as the single shortcut.
Eric, try ctrl-S on your W2K machine.  On mine it opens the Save As box.  How about ctrl-> or ctrl-<.  As in forward, or backward ?  Those seem to work on W2k.  Otherwise, there is always the old standby ctrl-B.

It seems like you will have a tough time finding a meaningful ctrl sequence.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 02:27:34 AM »
Don't worry, it works. Download 0.8.2 and try it out! I think we can safely close this issue... after you try 0.8.2 let me know if you agree.

-Eric

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 02:31:07 AM »
Eric, it does work in 0.8.0.  However, in the change log you say:
Toggle shortcuts Ctrl-A and Ctrl-B have been changed to the single, new shortcut Ctrl-G as discussed here.
and ctrl-G does not work.

Just thought you might like to know.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 02:32:23 AM »
Sorry, wasn't logged in.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 02:35:23 AM »
Sorry, meant to write Cntrl-S. I'll change the release notes.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 11:12:55 AM »

Thanks. Ed mentioned here that this was reintroduced in 0.8.1. I've already fixed it and it will be in 0.8.2.

Oh - I read that but it didn't sound like mine since I'm not using 120DPI, but yeah, I guess I can see the relation now.

Thanks!

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 11:12:55 AM »